November Hymn of the Month

  • Nov 4, 2009
  • "I Am Not Skilled to Understand" AKA "My Savior, My God"

    Here's the story behind the song:

    Aaron Shust found the hymn "I Am Not skilled to Understand" in the One Year Book of Hymns, a devotional he was using. He was immediately taken by the words, but was unfamiliar with the tune. The lyrics/poem had been written in 1873 by Dora Greenwell expressing her incredible passion for her Savior and her intense gratitude for what Christ did. The song also expresses the truth that we don't always understand the mysteries of theology or understand God's perfect plan, but we can always trust that God is in control.

    The tune to the hymn was no longer familiar to Aaron or his church so he put a new tune to it and started using it in church services. Two years later he completed the song by adding the chorus. The song has as become extremely popular under it's new title "My Savior, My God" and has unlocked the hymn for a new generation.

    [Resource: More Songs For Praise and Worship 4, published by Word Music Group]

    2 comments:

    Nikki Moore said...

    I love the updated version of this song. often, new tunes neuter the powerful impact of the original melodies...but i think this one really adds to the power of the lyrics. :)

    be thou my vision said...

    I totally agree with you nikki

    Post a Comment