The Arrogance of Legalism

  • Oct 1, 2009
  • In C.J. Mahaney's book "The Cross Centered Life - Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing" there's a whole chapter on breaking the rules of legalism. He says the implications of legalism are staggering in their arrogance.

    "Legalism claims that the death of Jesus on the cross was either unnecessary or insufficient. It essentially says to God 'Your plan didn't work. The cross wasn't enough and I need to add my good works to it to be saved.' "
    Thank God for His saving work found solely & wholly in the cross! If my salvation were even partially dependent on what I could contribute there is no way I could accomplish it!!

    Paul tells us the same thing in Galations 5:2-4:
    Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. (ESV) (emphasis mine)

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment